Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Nathan Moyer, Assistant Professor of Math & Computer Science

Name: Nathan Moyer

Job title: Assistant Professor

Department: Math & Computer Science

How long have you worked at Whitworth? 3 years

What do you like best about your job? The interactions I have with students both inside and outside the classroom. I love challenging them with new ideas and concepts and seeing them grow through the learning process.  

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I seek to instill a passion for learning in my students that goes beyond their time at Whitworth. I am always looking for new and fresh ways to do this in the classroom.

Favorite food: homemade pizza…made from scratch

Favorite quote: "The greatness of God rouses fear within us, but His goodness encourages us not to be afraid of Him. To fear and not be afraid - that is the paradox of faith." – A.W. Tozer

Favorite music: contemporary Christian

Favorite animal: My cats Oscar and Morris

Hobbies: Searching out the genealogy of my family. I’ve been able to trace my dad’s line all the way back to the early 1700’s in New England.

Best vacation ever: Lake Louise, Canada in August 2007. Lots of hiking and beautiful scenery.

Birth place: Little Rock, Arkansas

We’d be surprised to know that…Eight member of my extended family have attended Whitworth (including my three siblings).

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Australia and New Zealand

What is your favorite sound? The laughter of my two-year old son

What is your life motto? Colossians 3:17

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? "Stop listening to me. I’d like a little privacy."

Favorite childhood book: Where’s Waldo?

Favorite childhood TV show: "Pinky and the Brain"

Least favorite word: Anything that requires a (bleep)

Best high school class subject: Math (with English a close second)