Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Program Assistant Julie Shanholtzer

Name: Julie Shanholtzer

Job title: Program Assistant - Psychology Department, Speakers & Artists, and Core 350

Department: Psychology Department

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Just finished my fourth year here

What do you like best about your job? Definitely the people! I work with wonderful faculty and students. They are the reason I love coming to work every day.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? My passion is helping people. There is nothing more gratifying than helping someone and knowing that I have made a difference in their life. I believe my past business experience and training have enabled me to serve Whitworth and its students well.

Favorite book: The Call of the Wild – Jack London

Favorite movie: “The Wizard of Oz”

Favorite food: Turkey with all of the trimmings

Favorite quote: “The world needs dreamers and doers, but above all the world needs dreamers that do” - Sarah Ban Breathnach

Favorite music: 80s music. I also love Coldplay and Supertramp.

Favorite animal: Grizzly bear

Guilty pleasure: Applebee’s appetizers

Hobbies: Watching my girls play softball and basketball; spending time at our lake cabin; lots of camping

Best vacation ever: An Alaskan cruise with my husband and our five girls and some extended family – it was beautiful and a blast!

Birthplace: Newport, Wash.

We’d be surprised to know that…I am a sports fanatic and I love riding my motorcycle.

I collect…memories.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Ireland

What cartoon character best describes you? Speedy Gonzales – always running, minus the “speedy” part

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? Travel around the world

What is your favorite sound? My kids’ laughter and the ocean waves

What is your life motto? Life is what you make it.

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? “Show compassion and love for one another – we all need it!”

Favorite childhood book: Nancy Drew mysteries

Favorite childhood TV show: “The Waltons”

Least favorite word: Can’t

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? Lewis and Clark – exploring the beautiful Northwest

Best high school class subject: English