Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Bonnie Wakefield, Assistant Director of Graduate Studies in Business

Name: Bonnie Wakefield

Job title: Assistant Director

Department: Graduate Studies in Business

How long have you worked at Whitworth? 14 years

What do you like best about your job? Working with students and seeing the changes in their lives after obtaining their master’s degree

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? We are very student service-oriented in our department and I hope my ability to serve and truly care about students is reflected in my work.

Favorite book: Usually the one I’m reading if it’s a good one. Currently, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Favorite movie: “The Princess Bride,” because our family knows lots of the funny lines

Favorite food: Italian and Middle Eastern

Favorite quote: “Keep looking up,” my dad

Favorite music: 70s oldies and Christian artists like Fernando Ortega

Favorite animal: Golden retrievers, especially puppies

Guilty pleasure: Baskin-Robbins peanut butter and chocolate ice cream

Hobbies: Playing with my grandchildren

Best vacation ever: Yellowstone Park when our kids were young

Birth place: Seattle

We’d be surprised to know that…I won $10,000 during a Seattle Storm halftime basketball shooting contest with my husband and daughter (a former Whitworth women’s basketball player).

I collect…pictures of my grandchildren.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Greece

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? I would start a business training golden retrievers to be seeing eye/helper dogs

What is your favorite sound? A baby’s giggle

What is your life motto? To love God and love people

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? “Love one another”

Favorite childhood book: Lassie Come-Home

Favorite childhood TV shows: “JP Patches” and “Captain Kangaroo”

Least favorite word: Sucks

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I would go with my husband and visit all the national parks in the U.S. (and visit our grandchildren along the way).

Best high school class subject: I went to an experimental high school and we didn’t have traditional classes, so I would say hanging out with my friends...by the way, the experiment failed and regular classes were instituted two years after I graduated.