Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Assistant Professor of Athletic Training Jolene Fisher

Name: Jolene Fisher

Job title: Assistant Professor of Athletic Training

Department: Health Sciences

How long have you worked at Whitworth? 8 years

What do you like best about your job? I love the hands-on laboratory time with the students; seeing the “a-ha” moments is priceless.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I’m compassionate and a good listener. I think students want someone they can talk to and feel a connection with. I have fun around them and I’m not afraid to be myself. I think that helps me with teaching and advising.

Favorite book: Same Kind of Different as Me, by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

Favorite movies: “Toy Story” 1, 2 and 3

Favorite food: Chips and homemade salsa

Favorite quote: “If you do what is easy, your life will be hard. If you do what is hard, your life will be easy.” – Les Brown

Favorite music: 80s

Favorite animal: Dog – I don’t have one, but someday I want a Boston Terrier

Guilty pleasure: Watching “The Bachelor”

Hobbies: Arts and crafts, card making

Best vacation ever: Annual trip to Mexico with my husband

Birthplace: Bremerton, Wash.

We’d be surprised to know that…in the summer we drive a fire-engine red, 1962 Chrysler 300
convertible.

I collect…my kids’ artwork

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Australia and New Zealand

What cartoon character best describes you? Road Runner – I don’t like to run, but I’m always going!

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? I have a home-based business, so it’s my dream to see this be successful so I can help so many others have what I have.

What is your favorite sound? I don’t know if it’s a favorite sound, but I love watching my children sleep.

What is your life motto? Live a balanced life, even if it takes you a little longer to reach your goals.

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? Because I’m so passionate about health, I would tell the world to educate themselves about sustainable living practices. Be more buyer-beware and conscientious about what they put on and in their bodies. I like www.ewg.org because they educate us about being better consumers.

Favorite childhood book: Disney Children’s Classics

Favorite childhood TV show: “The Muppets”

Least favorite words: Any four-letter word and God’s name used in vain

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? My sister, on a girls’ vacation to a spa/retreat somewhere secluded

Best high school class subjects: Anatomy and physiology or chemistry