Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Head Women's Basketball Coach Helen Higgs

Name: Helen L. Higgs

Job title: Head Women’s Basketball Coach, Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance

Department: Athletics

How long have you worked at Whitworth? 16 years

What do you like best about your job? The people I work with, and that it fits my personality  

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I think that I help build community. I also think I can make things more fun – but I also speak my mind, which can be challenging.

Favorite book: I can’t pick just one. I like Cold Sassy Tree, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court.

Favorite movie: “The Princess Bride”

Favorite food: Mashed potatoes and gravy

Favorite quote: “If you’re going to bite butts with a bear, don’t let the bear bite first.”

Favorite music: Anything that reminds me of my young days – 70s and 80s music

Guilty pleasure: Ice-cream sundaes

Hobbies: Right now, writing my dissertation

Best vacation ever: Traveling with Core 250 to Europe. I just followed along – no decisions to be made and awesome sights and people.

Birthplace: Portland, Ore.

We’d be surprised to know that…I went to music camp rather than basketball camp until my sophomore year in high school.

I collectdust

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Africa – not sure where. I would love to do a sports mission trip.

What cartoon character best describes you? Jessica Rabbit? Not really. For some reason I keep thinking Yosemite Sam. I’m not sure why…

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt?  Hang gliding

What is your favorite sound? The swish of a basketball going through the net

What is your life motto? “Don’t take things too seriously, try to find the humor or positive in everything.” 

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? Nothing – too many people want their opinions heard; I don’t need to add to the cacophony. 

Favorite childhood book: Where the Red Fern Grows

Favorite childhood TV show: “Wide World of Sports” – the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat

Least favorite word: Can’t

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I’d drive across the U.S., probably with John Wooden and Oprah. 

Best high school class subject: PE is the obvious answer, but honestly it was probably English