Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Q&A with Assistant Professor of Art Meredith Shimizu

Name: Meredith Shimizu

Job title: Assistant Professor

Department: Art

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Two years

What do you like best about your job? The chance to share my enthusiasm for art and history

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I feel wired to teach.

Favorite book: Anything by Dorothy Sayers

Favorite movie: At the moment, “The Godfather”

Favorite food: Good sushi, hands down

Favorite quote: “I’d like to thank God. Without him I’m nothing, I’m screwed,” by Carlos
Zambrano, pitcher for the Chicago Cubs

Favorite music: I’d have to say the feel-good stuff of the 70s – the Carpenters, JT, S&G, ABBA (cheesy, I know)

Favorite animal: River otter

Guilty pleasure: Moose Tracks ice cream

Hobbies: Camping, traveling, knitting, wine, cross-country skiing

Birth place: Lowell, Mass.

I collect…Student papers (argh)

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Japan (and I get to go in January)

What cartoon character best describes you? I’ve always identified with Peppermint Patty –
maybe because she’s a redhead who wears Berkinstocks.

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? I would be an artist!

What is your favorite sound? Waves breaking softly on a beach (too cliché?)

What is your life motto? “This, Here, You, Now”

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? “Enough, already!”

Favorite childhood book: James and the Giant Peach

Favorite childhood TV show: “3-2-1 Contact”

Least favorite word: “Also” used at the end of a sentence

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I’d drive through Europe with Toshi (my husband).

Best high school class subject: History, I would guess (I don’t remember much about high school).