Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Music Program Assistant Loree Swegle

Name: Loree Swegle

Job title: Program Assistant

Department: Music

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Seven years

What do you like best about your job? The music! If you walk through our halls you hear so many different instruments and voices. I get to work with so many talented faculty, staff and students. I have really received a gift working here in learning that I really do like a lot of different music.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I hope it comes through that I really care about our students academically, emotionally and spiritually. I hope I’m able to encourage and make things easier for the people I work with and for our students.

Favorite book: The Bible

Favorite movies: “The Sound of Music” & “New in Town”

Favorite foods: Any kind of pasta & baked potatoes

Favorite quote: “You can’t go wrong at getting better at who you are.”

Favorite music: Boston and Eric Clapton

Favorite animal: My dog

Guilty pleasure: Deep fried pickles

Hobbies: Making soap, scrapbooking/stamping, kayaking, cross-country skiing and my latest favorite – Zumba!

Best vacation ever: My husband and I found a guide book for the Northwest and picked out destinations that we had to find. We hiked to a beach and had lunch, found a waterfall park in downtown Seattle, etc. It was really relaxed and fun.

Birthplace: Richland, Wash.

We’d be surprised to know that…I enjoy autocross racing.

I collect…friends.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I would like to go to Africa and see a giraffe.

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? I would open a soap-making shop where people could come in and make their own soap.

What is your favorite sound? Genuine laughter

What is your life motto? There is always a positive…sometimes it’s just hard to find!

Favorite childhood book: The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

Favorite childhood TV show: “Happy Days”

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I would like to go on a vacation to a dude ranch with my family. Unfortunately, I’m not sure they would enjoy this vacation as much as I would.

Best high school class subjects: Home economics and cosmetology school during my senior year