Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Resident Director CyBelle Rose Barthelmess

Name: CyBelle Rose Barthelmess

Job title: Resident Director

Department: Student Life

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Since August 2010

What do you like best about your job? Listening to colleagues’ and students’ stories and being invited into this season of their lives.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I have been blessed and honored to work alongside young adults around the globe from vastly different walks of life, and with varying ideologies, worldviews, and passions. Each and every one of these unique stories has further formed the woman, servant, leader, advocate, teacher, student, and child of God I am today. Daily I am learning to ask harder questions, refrain from giving trite answers, suspend judgment, and love others deeply. The things I have learned, the roads I have traveled, the stories I have heard, the lives that have humbled and touch my own – these are the gifts I hope to share with the community here at Whitworth University.

Favorite books: Buenos Noches, Luna and Crime & Punishment

Favorite movie: “The Power of One”

Favorite food: Sushi

Favorite quote: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, love.” – St. Augustine

Favorite music: Joshua Radin’s Pandora station

Favorite animal: Elephant

Guilty pleasure: “Glee” TV show

Hobbies: Salsa dancing, painting, photography, x-country skiing, swimming, cycling

Best vacation ever: Paid vacation to South Africa

Birth place: Strong, Maine

We’d be surprised to know that…in 7th grade I won a science fair, a spelling bee, and a regional speech competition, with a speech entitled “Sex Can Wait.” I mean, seriously, what 7th grader even says the word “sex,” let alone in front of hundreds of people?

I collect…I used to collect keys and my mother reprimanded me for taking every key around the house.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Next on my list…Istanbul

What cartoon character best describes you? This is a no brainer…I am Belle!

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? Audition for a movie

What is your favorite sound? My little nephews laughing

What is your life motto? “Everyone has a story.”

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? I’d say nothing…our world could use a moment of reflective silence and perhaps in that silence someone would hear the voice of God.

Favorite childhood book: Grandpa Bunny

Favorite childhood TV show: “The Cosby Show”

Least favorite word: Quiche

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I’d take my Fab5 girlfriends and head down the coast of California…it’s one of my favorite road trips!

Best high school class subject: AP English – there were only seven senior girls in the class and my favorite teacher from high school