Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Associate Director of Admissions Lara Thompson

Name: Lara Thompson

Job title: Associate Director of Admissions

Department: Admissions

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Four years

What do you like best about your job? I get to play a role in helping high-school students decide where they will spend their next four years. It’s such an important time in their lives and I love that I can share my passion and love for Whitworth with them.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I had such a wonderful experience as both an undergrad and grad student at Whitworth that it makes my job easy. I love meeting new people and traveling to new places, so any chance I get to share my enthusiasm for Whitworth and all that it offers is truly a blessing to me. I also tend to be very detail-oriented and organized, so I enjoy putting together large group visits and events on campus for prospective students and their families.

Favorite book: The Power of One

Favorite movies: “Elf” and “Anchorman”

Favorite food: Everything but tofu. I love food!

Favorite quote: “Walk as if your next step would carry you across the threshold of Heaven” –
Jim Elliot

Favorite music: Anything, but I have a special place in my heart for 80s music

Favorite animals: It’s a tie – cats and dogs

Guilty pleasure: Starbucks peppermint mochas

Hobbies: Soccer, tennis, dodgeball, softball, board games, backyard sports, anything competitive

Best vacation ever: Jan Term international business trip to Australia

Birth place: Daytona Beach, Florida

We’d be surprised to know that…I’ve moved houses 17 times in my life and I have traveled to five of the seven continents. I’m also getting married to Whitworth Head Baseball Coach Dan Ramsay next summer.

I collect…Starbucks mugs and Brewery pint glasses from the places I visit

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? South America, to check off the sixth continent on my list

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? Buy a lottery ticket?

What is your favorite sound? The heater kicking on

What is your life motto? “Let go and let God”

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? Nothing. I’d let everyone enjoy the silence.

Favorite childhood books: The Boxcar Children and Nancy Drew mysteries

Favorite childhood TV shows: “Full House” and “The Price Is Right”

Least favorite words: lol, brb, btw

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? Visit all the MLB ballparks around the country with my fiancé.

Best high school class subjects: P.E. and math