Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Meet Your Colleage: A Q&A with Dan Ramsay, Head Baseball Coach, Events and Equipment Room Manager

Name: Dan Ramsay, ’08
Job title: Head Baseball Coach, Events and Equipment Room Manager

Department: Athletics

How long have you worked at Whitworth? 3 years (going on my 4th)

What do you like best about your job? I get to work with student-athletes during the most important years of growth and maturity in their lives, and I get to do it on the baseball diamond at a university that embraces and supports my personal walk with Christ.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? As an education student at Whitworth I was often asked to explore my “calling.” I learned pretty quickly that I had an undying passion for serving others and a love for the game of baseball. I am blessed to be able to say that I can fulfill my calling in an environment that fosters the development of Christ-like traits in my student-athletes; Whitworth’s baseball field is simply an extension of the classroom, where life lessons are taught and learned.

Favorite book: The Power of One

Favorite movie: “The Sandlot”

Favorite food: Tacos

Favorite quote: “A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives.” - Jackie Robinson

Favorite music: Country (but Jeremy Camp has been frequenting my iPod as of late)

Favorite animal: Bull moose

Guilty pleasure: Stargazing by a campfire

Hobbies: Spending time with my family, baseball, camping, riding my bike, reading, fishing

Best vacation ever: Yellowstone National Park as a 12-year-old with my family

Birthplace: Hermiston, Ore.

We’d be surprised to know that… I married Lara Thompson, ’06 (Whitworth University Associate Director of Admissions), on June 18th this summer.

I collect… My wife (still getting used to saying that) and I plan to attend a baseball game at every Major League stadium. Together we’ve attended four (Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs, Comerica Park - Detroit Tigers, Safeco Field - Seattle Mariners, and Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles Dodgers). It’s a blast because we get to spend a lot of quality time together and explore different parts of the country.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? This summer I feel like all I’ve done is travel. Lara and I took our honeymoon to Mexico and I just returned from an eight-day trip to Spain with the USA Athletes International baseball team, so at the moment I’m a little traveled out. Right now I want to go to the mountains and set up a hammock under some trees next to a stream and just be.

What cartoon character best describes you? Woody from “Toy Story”

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? I’d “try” winning the lottery

What is your favorite sound? Christmas music

What is your life motto? The Ramsay Clan Motto (dating back to my ancestry in Scotland) is “Ora et Labora,” which means “Pray and Work.” Funny to think that the phrase my ancestors lived by thousands of years ago is still pertinent to my life today. Only good things can come of hard work and prayer.

Favorite childhood book: The Big Friendly Giant by Roald Dahl

Favorite childhood TV show: I used to love watching “Sunday Night Baseball” with my dad

Least favorite word: Disappointed

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I’d head east with my dad, make a stop in Omaha, Neb., for the College World Series, stop in Dyersville, Iowa, to see the Field of Dreams, stop in Williamsport, Penn., to watch the Little League World Series, and finally end the trip in Cooperstown, N.Y., to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. We’d fish at every river and lake along the way.

Best high school class subject: World history