Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Toni Sutherland, Program Coordinator for Chaplain Services


Name: Toni Sutherland
Job title: Program Coordinator
Department: Chaplain Services
How long have you worked at Whitworth? 9 years
What do you like best about your job? The best part of my job is being involved in the opportunity for Whitworth students, faculty, and staff to worship together. I also enjoy assisting the students who stop by my window. I love interacting with them while they enjoy the M&M’s.
In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I’m organized and I’ve been called the queen of lists. I’m a behind-the-scenes person. I like to help people implement their ideas using available resources they may not know about, or helping them come up with the best way to get their desired outcome.
Favorite book: Whatever book I am currently reading. I love stories. One of my favorite events at Whitworth is the English Department Hot Dog and Book Sale.  
Favorite movie: “Pride and Prejudice”
Favorite food: Nachos – there is just so much you can do with this wonder-food. 
Favorite quote: “Better not be at all than not be noble,” Alfred Lord Tennyson, or “Jump off the moose!” from the movie “Wild America.”
Favorite music: 1970s and 80s easy listening – cheesy, I know. 
Favorite animal: I’ve been enjoying the hummingbird antics outside my living room window. 
Favorite childhood TV show: “The Brady Bunch.”  I come from a blended family with his two, her two, and their two. I could relate to the house full of kids and animals. 
Guilty pleasure: Skittles and “America’s Next Top Model”
Best vacation ever: A family reunion on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago. It was the last event spent with my brother-in-law, who passed away a short time later. 
Birth place: Deer Park, Wash.
We’d be surprised to know that…my daughter was born in a Mercedes Benz. 
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I would love to go to Scotland and Ireland. I’d also love to visit my sponsored child in Tanzania. 
What cartoon character best describes you? Tigger (although my daughter says Lucy from “Peanuts”)
If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? Sing the national anthem to a large crowd. I’ve always wished I could sing.
What is your favorite sound? Baby giggles are the best. Doesn’t matter where you are or how you feel, a baby giggle has to make you smile. 
What is your life motto? Live with integrity. 
If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? I would go on a road trip with my husband, touring the East Coast of the United States. That has always been the plan for someday.