Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Meet Your Colleague: A Q&A with Assistant Director of Career Services Internships Sandy Nowack

Name: Sandy Nowack

Job title: Assistant Director of Career Services Internships

Department: Career Services

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Fourteen years

What do you like best about your job? I enjoy working with students, providing them with opportunities to gain life-changing experience through internships and to learn more about their career pathway.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? The Lord has given me the desire to encourage and help people, and helping students is at the heart of my job.

Favorite book: I can’t limit it to one, but Elisabeth Elliot, Max Lucado, and Beth Moore are among my favorite authors.

Favorite movie: Hard to say, but I enjoyed “Second Hand Lions”

Favorite food: Pot roast and veggies

Favorite quote: “We wear ourselves out trying to do what only God can do.” By Joyce Meyer in 100 Ways to Simplify your Life

Favorite music: Contemporary Christian and old hymns, too

Favorite animal: Cat. I have two: Tucker, a black-and-white tuxedo kitty, and Dixon, a brown tabby. Dixon tried to attend classes in Dixon Hall, but was kicked out, so he came to live with me.

Guilty pleasure: Iced Americanos with caramel sauce

Hobbies: Reading, a little yoga, and meeting friends for coffee and conversation

Best vacation ever: Two weeks in France on a mission trip

Birth place: Moscow, Idaho

We’d be surprised to know that... my first job (in high school) was making arrows at an archery shop.

I collect…seashells, because I love the ocean.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Israel, to see the places Christ lived while on Earth

What cartoon character best describes you? Cathy, the neurotic, guilt-ridden, diet-plagued, ever- harried yet hopeful working woman. I seem to identify with her on more levels than I care to admit.

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? To be a professional ice skater

What is your favorite sound? The ocean

What is your life motto? “Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus…so that we may not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:1-3

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? The truth that has brought hope and security to my life: “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes on Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16

Favorite childhood book: Little Women

Favorite childhood TV show: “Little House on the Prairie”

Least favorite word: Any word that is rude or crude

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? To Saskatchewan, Canada, with my mom to visit her childhood home

Best high school class: Band – I was a drummer