Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Q&A with Kathy Benson, assistant director of administrative services, Continuing Studies

Name: Kathy Benson

Job title: Assistant Director, Administrative Services

Department: Continuing Studies

How long have you worked at Whitworth? Six years

What do you like best about your job? I really appreciate our culture of support and personal growth. We always have new challenges and it is never boring.

In what ways do your gifts and abilities help meet the needs of the campus community you serve? I hope I bring a level head, a fun-loving soul, and the wisdom and will to do whatever is needed to get the job done right.

Favorite movie: “West Side Story”

Favorite food: I love seafood.

Favorite music: Jazz, swing, country

Favorite animal: Border Collie

Guilty pleasure: Rocky Road ice cream

Hobbies: Kayaking, biking, hiking and reading (when I can stay awake)

Birth place: Moses Lake, Wash., but we moved to Pine Lake, in Issaquah, when I was one and my family has been there ever since.

We’d be surprised to know that…my husband and I were Young Life leaders with Jen Sowers (First Pres) years ago at Central Washington University.

I collect…memories.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I would like to see more of our country first, meet the people, then I’d go explore the world.

What cartoon character best describes you? Brenda Starr

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt? To make sure those who
think they are alone know that they are loved

What is your favorite sound? Laughter, of course

What is your life motto? “It’s not about me.”

If the whole world was listening, what would you say? “Stay faithful – the good guys really do win.”

Favorite childhood book: Curious George books

Favorite childhood TV show: “The J.P. Patches Show”

Least favorite word: Whatever…

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go? My husband, a full tank of gas, and open country

Best high school subjects: Horses, boys and summer